About the game
Liverpool has a walkable city centre and The Grand Voyage is going to show you all of it!
This is our longest game, covering lots of different areas in a 3½ mile walk. It’s perfect for an afternoon out, especially with a few drinks along the way.
This game is a full afternoon activity and a great way to explore the highlights of this city.
You’ll also have two ½ hour stops in pubs to rest and recover. These are highly recommended!
What you’ll do
You’ll be led around the city by Captain Bess, a snarky pirate who’s testing out new recruits to join her ship!
Bess will send a series of maps, clues and directions. You follow the map and solve the clue by searching your
surroundings. When you get the right answer, you’ll move on to the next place.
Don’t worry, if you get stuck you can ask for a hint and Bess’ll get you on your way!
What you’ll see
Along the way you’ll see lots of sights and Bess will tell you some fun facts about some of them. It’s a perfect way
of discovering things you might want to come back to.
- The “bombed out church” - the church without a roof, now a classy outdoor bar and events space
- RC Metropolitan Cathedral (Paddy’s Wigwam) - famous for its futuristic space-ship appearance and whacky circular design.
- Hope street - the core of the city’s vast Georgian quarter, and home to some excellent bars and restaurants.
- The Philharmonic Pub - Victorians at their most lavish, including Grade-II listed toilets!
- Anglican Cathedral - an extremely large cathedral with a fabulous sunken garden behind.
- The Albert Dock - the iconic red-brick building which survived two wars and a century of being derelict.
- The Royal Liver Building, The Cunard Building and the Port of Liverpool - the impressive trio known as the “Three Graces”.
- Liverpool Town Hall & Nelson Monument - in the heart of the business district, the former financial powerhouse and home to fancy bars and restaurants.
- Cavern Club & Mathew street - a buzzing centre of musical history, and of course the Beatles’ home venue.
- Liverpool ONE - the city’s buzzing, modern open-air shopping district.
- Bold Street - home of some of the best food and independent shops.
What else you should know
- Take your time—it’s more enjoyable to see everything at your own pace. There's a scheduled
break around half-way, but you can take your own breaks if you prefer.
- Aim to finish before sunset—it's near impossible to find clues in the dark! Check
the sunset time
- You can play in 2 parts—if it suits your plans, you can pause the game and come back after lunch
or even the next day.
- Bess will be scoring you! Your score is the number of clues you got right first time, without a
hint. The score is only for your satisfaction, so don’t struggle needlessly!
How the game works
The game works a bit like a WhatsApp group, but on a web page instead. You don’t need to download anything and it
doesn’t need any permissions.
Before you’re due to start, we’ll send you a link to the game. Open the link to join the game and share it with your
team so they can join too.
Once you’re ready, Captain Bess will tell you what to do next.
What to bring
- Smartphones with mobile data and full batteries. (It’s OK to share, but it works better if everyone has their own
- Shoes for walking 3½ miles.
- Waterproofs in case of bad weather.
- Wit, cunning and an adventurous spirit!
We've designed the game to be step-free around the whole route. The recommended
pubs at half-way and at the end of the game have step-free front access and an
However, we are currently looking for wheelchair users to play-test the game
before we call it "wheelchair friendly".
If you'd like to test the game, please get in touch!